Are you a great Java Developer with a passion for TDD and Continuous Delivery?
We have an amazing opportunity in a small agile team here in Cornwall! Your team will be responsible for the onward development of a new and exciting system in the travel sector. The system is written in Java in the Spring framework, and has a large data warehousing and storage component so experience in working with large data sets would be desirable. That's also why we are keen to find someone with an interest in data science :)
As part of the team you will be responsible for the full lifecycle of the product including support, further enhancements. A commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and product quality is essential. The rest of the team consists of another Back End Developer, a Front End Developer and a Scrum Master. You will work really closely with the client and product owner as they will be in our offices at least once a week. There will be a small amount of travel to their offices in London or possibly to travel exhibitions from time to time.
Whilst you will work in this small self-organising team, you'll be part of our wider company which is over 100 Developers from 18 different countries, all of us based in Cornwall. We’re a really friendly bunch, intelligent, inquisitive and we all want to do the right thing with software development. We work hard but we have an outstanding work-life balance and we’re very grateful for it, it’s one of the reasons our software is so good. We are truly agile and we're fans of TDD, BDD and Continuous Delivery. We also love pair programming & mobbing and our modern offices are set up to enable teams to do this well. There are lots of other teams here, all working on their own different and unique applications. You’ll benefit from knowledge sharing with other teams, internal talks, communities of practice and our great social environment. We have a very laid back feel with a relatively flat structure. Our culture and environment is dedicated to making people happy at work.
Not only will you get to work in this amazing team, but you will get to do it in the stunning county of Cornwall. Our offices are less than 5 miles from the beach and some of the most amazing coastline in the UK. Cornwall’s tech scene has been quietly growing over the last decade but momentum has really gained pace over the last couple of years. We are home to some fantastic companies all hiring great tech talent, and now, our airport is home to the UK's first spaceport in partnership with Virgin Orbit. Another great boost for Cornwall.
If this all sounds like something you want to be a part of then let’s talk soon!
• Translate application storyboards and use cases into functional applications
• Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Java code
• Ensure the best possible performance, quality, scalability and responsiveness of the applications
• Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems
• Maintain quality code
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Strong experience implementing Continuous Delivery pipelines and working in a DevOps culture
• Proficient in Java, with a good knowledge of its ecosystems
• Implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests
• Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
• Experience working in an Agile environment
• Data Science or Data Analytics background
Experience and interest in building scalable Data Platforms
• Experience integrating to a variety of 3rd party APIs
• Experience with Relational Databases, SQL and ORM
• Familiarity with Hibernate
• Familiarity with build tools such as Ant & Maven
The closing date for this role is 31st January 2020. We recruit on a rolling basis and fill our vacancies as soon as we find people who fit our culture and meet the skills requirements. This means that whilst we have a closing date on all of our roles, we may offer the role to someone before the end date, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible.
Due to our timescales you must be eligible to work in the UK, or in the UK with a visa which we can takeover if necessary.
No recruitment agencies please.